You might have wished to be happy for ever. Have you ever thought of the real meaning of happiness? Having fun at a party, excitement of new experiences, delights of a dinner and the like are surely wonderful experiences and bring pleasures to us, but they do not bring the real happiness in us. These experiences are like passing clouds and you must know happiness is not the same as pleasure.
In fact, happiness comes to you when you feel satisfied and full filled. When your needs are achieved, it brings happiness in you. But there are limitless degrees of happiness and it varies from person to person. People say that when your needs are full filled, you feel happy. But is there any limit to your needs? The answer is a big No. Instead, you must try to live with what you have and then you will be happy.
Happiness is not a commodity that can be bought from a departmental store. It is nothing but the mind set of each individual. Some may feel happiness by listening to good music or watching horror movies or comedy movies. As such, there is no yard stick to measure happiness. You can be happy by helping the needy people such as orphans, elders settled in old age homes and the like. Your real happiness lies in the way you make others feel happy.
Let us now see what top personalities say and define about happiness.
- True happiness arises, in the first place, from the enjoyment of one’s self, and in the next, from the friendship and conversation of a few select companions-Joseph Addison.
- The ultimate of end of education is happiness or a good human life a life enriched by the possession of every kind of good, by the enjoyment of every type of satisfaction-Mortimer Adler.
- Happiness is obsolete and uneconomic-Theodor Adorno.
- Happiness is a choice that requires efforts at all times-Sade Adu.
- There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery-Muhammad Ali.
- Happiness is mental harmony and unhappiness is mental in harmony-Muhammad Ali.
- A man is not rightly conditioned until he is a happy, healthy and prosperous being and happiness, health and prosperity are the results of a harmonious adjustments of the inner with the outer the man with his surroundings-Muhammad Ali.
- Happiness is secured through virtue-it is a good attained by man’s own will-Maya Angelo.
- Indeed, a man wishes to be happy even when he so lives as to make happiness impossible-Isaac Asimov.
- The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts and therefore guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature-Isaac Asimov.
As such, there is no specific definition of happiness. It all depends upon the individuals and their deeds in public life. Real happiness lies with what help you offer to others, who are in dire straits. Be happy and make others feel happy.